Dave needs to get better at pushing out patches
|Assignee:||Dave Täht||% Done:||
|Category:||Upstream||Spent time:||20.00 hours|
|Target version:||1st Public Cerowrt release|
The overhead of formatting a patch properly is trivial.
Getting a patch set into thunderbird or the web so totally dwarfs the
tedium of actually creating the patch, it's unbelievable.
I have a string of mostly trivial patches I could have got out ages
ago with git send-email. I could slam out patches every day that way
and be a zillion times more effective coding-wise.
All year I have tried to get to where I could send email effectively
from the command line on my laptop or wherever, and today's email
server setups have become so complex that I have completely failed to
find a way to so. (I note that I am frequently offline and need to be
able to do it from my main development box, my laptop, and I have been
highly mobile of late)
I recently spent most of a day trying to get bufferbloat.net's email
server to take email from me, using sasl, or certs, and failed
I've been running my own email servers for 3 decades now, It's both
embarrassing to me and unbelievable how difficult it's become to use
such a basic transport.
And I USED to read my email with emacs. I liked it. I was FAR more
productive switching from code to irc to email to patches and back
when I didn't have to run tools like a browser and thunderbird all the
- Category set to Upstream
- Status changed from New to Closed
- Assignee set to Dave Täht
I have evolved to a system where I do a patch on the laptop, copy it up to huchra, review it, make sure it applies, then send it. This is still overly tedious but a heck of a lot better than what I was doing before.
I'd still prefer to do it all on the laptop