Bug #392

/tmp/log/babled.log grows and grows....

Added by Jim Gettys on May 24, 2012. Updated on Jun 24, 2014.
Closed High David Taht

Description

My router had become very unstable: it would lock up and I would often try rebooting to no avail. When I say “lock up”, I mean I could no longer send packets via the wireless interfaces (or get a new address from it); the box would continue to forward packets from another router just fine.

Specifically, the router has been running 3.3.0-rc6 and is a WNDR3700v2.

On the theory I should try to figure out what happened after CeroWrt had been up for a long time, I suffered in silence.

Today, in response to mail on the cerowrt mailing list, I finally noticed that /tmp/log/babeld.log was huge.
-rw-r-r- 1 root root 247936 May 24 12:27 babeld.log

As /tmp is a tmpfs, I suspect that this may be the cause of the unstableness.

root@gw-main:/tmp/log# tail babeld.log
Couldn’t determine channel of interface gw00: Invalid argument.
Couldn’t determine channel of interface gw10: Invalid argument.
Couldn’t determine channel of interface gw00: Invalid argument.
Couldn’t determine channel of interface gw10: Invalid argument.
Couldn’t determine channel of interface gw00: Invalid argument.
Couldn’t determine channel of interface gw10: Invalid argument.
Couldn’t determine channel of interface gw00: Invalid argument.
Couldn’t determine channel of interface gw10: Invalid argument.
Couldn’t determine channel of interface gw00: Invalid argument.
Couldn’t determine channel of interface gw10: Invalid argument.

Gives us another clue.

I should have squirreled away a copy of the whole file before nuking it, but I didn’t. /me bad.

Attachments

  • babeld.conf (application/octet-stream; 1.8 kiB) cerowrt 3.3.2-6 babeld.conf Sebastian Moeller May 24, 2012
  • babeld.log (application/octet-stream; 257.9 kiB) log for around one day of uptime, mesh routing not used Sebastian Moeller May 24, 2012

History

Updated by Sebastian Moeller on May 24, 2012.
As requested by Jim here is the babeld.conf of cerowrt 3.3.2-6 and a roughly 250Kb log file of babeld complaining.
Updated by Dave Täht on Jul 12, 2012.
Switching to quagga eliminates this log file, however the core problem with the original daemon remains, and the error it was noting may well, also, remain in the quagga code.
Updated by Dave Täht on Jun 24, 2014.

This is a static export of the original bufferbloat.net issue database. As such, no further commenting is possible; the information is solely here for archival purposes.
RSS feed

Recent News & Articles

Sep 6, 2018 Wiki page
Pete Heist's Thoughts on ECN
Sep 5, 2018 Wiki page
Dave Taht's Stance on ECN
Sep 4, 2018 Wiki page
Jonathan Morton's Take on ECN
Sep 3, 2018 Wiki page
ECN-Sane Project
Aug 24, 2018 Wiki page
ECN-Sane Project

Find us elsewhere

Bufferbloat Mailing Lists
#bufferbloat on Twitter
Google+ group
Archived Bufferbloat pages from the Wayback Machine

Sponsors

Comcast Research Innovation Fund
Nlnet Foundation
Shuttleworth Foundation
GoFundMe

Bufferbloat Related Projects

Congestion Control Blog
Lede Project (OpenWrt)
Flent Network Test Suite
Sqm-Scripts
The Cake shaper
AQMs in BSD
IETF AQM WG

Network Performance Related Resources


Jim Gettys' Blog - The chairman of the Fjord
Toke's Blog - Karlstad University's work on bloat
Voip Users Conference - Weekly Videoconference mostly about voip
Candelatech - A wifi testing company that "gets it".