CeroWrt is a project built on the OpenWrt firmware to resolve the endemic problems of bufferbloat in home networking today, and to push forward the state of the art of edge networks and routers. Projects include proper IPv6 support, tighter integration with DNSSEC, and most importantly, reducing bufferbloat in both the wired and wireless components of the stack.
Update: CeroWrt 3.10.50-1 Triumphs! See the latest item in "News"
The CeroWrt 3.10 series of builds include the following features and capabilities:
- Linux 3.10 kernel. Many of the fixes for bufferbloat are being implemented in this 3.10 kernel, so we are tracking these developments carefully. http://kernel.org
- Active Queue Management fixes for bufferbloat including: the Codel algorithm - Kathie Nichols' and Van Jacobson's newest AQM algorithm; Eric Duzamet's FQ_Codel, which enhances codel significantly; working ECN; Cisco PIE algorithm, Stochastic Fair Queueing-Random Early Drop (SFQRED); and other queue disciplines, including a version of codel from the current ns2 model and a fq_codel (nfq_codel, efq_codel) based on that.
- IPv6 support. Another major goal of CeroWrt is to make IPv6 networking in the home as simple as IPv4.
- Babel mesh routing protocol (source specific routing release).
- DNSSEC and DNSSEC proxying - Secure extensions to the DNS system. Proxying is currently in testing.
- OpenWrt features. Because we track the OpenWrt code base carefully, we incorporate most of the capabilities of that distribution. We actively push our changes/enhancements back toward the OpenWrt trunk. http://openwrt.org
- An attractive web GUI for configuration - LuCI
This is a stable build that can be used as a production router, and as a platform for further research into algorithms for solving state of the art problems in networking.
Manager: Dave Täht, Jim Gettys, Matt Taggart, Rich Brown, Toke Høiland-Jørgensen
Developer: Aaron Brooks, abdul hakeem, Abhishek Jain, ahlem reggani, Aidan Williams, Alan Silva, Alex Burr, alex martin, Alexander Dupuy, Alistair Woodman, Andrew McGregor, Antonio Pescape', ARJUN BISTA, Avery Pennarun, Bill McGonigle, Bill Rainey, Brian Clapper, Brian Poole, Brian Watters, Bruce Atherton, C Alaric Moore, Charles Lee, Chatchong Ariyawong, Chih Ming Lin, Chris E, Chris Friesen, Christopher Bortz, clark david, Colin Henson, Colin Ranni, Colin Wright, Craig Guessford, Cris R., Curtis Blackburn, Daniel Genin, Daniel Wolf, Dave Täht, David Brown, David Lang, David Taht, Davis McPherson, Denis Ovsienko, Dhanraj M, Don Marti, Ed Goforth, Ellis Rubio, Emmanuel Galanos, Eric Raymond, Erik Auerswald, Evan Hunt, Fabian Schneider, Felipe Contreras, Felix Fietkau, Forbes Hirsch, Frank Horowitz, Gabriel Ohai, Geoff Collyer, George Bonser, George Burdell, Gokul Bhat, Gordon Cichon, Gregory P Smith, Harald Kleppe, Hector Ordorica, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh, Holger Winkelmann, Hrushikesh Mehendale, hugo zepeda, Hyojoon Kim, Isaac Konikoff, Ivan Barrera, J G, Jacob W, jacopo cesareo, James Cassell, James Cloos, James Reisert, Jan Pedro Tumusok, Jay Moran, jed lane, Jeremy Nelson, Jesper Dangaard Brouer, Jesse Krembs, Jim Gettys, Jo-Philipp Wich, Joe Hamelin, Joe Oldendick, John Linville, John Thomas, Jon Masters, Jonathan Morton, Josh Anderson, Juliusz Chroboczek, Justin McCann, Justin Wagner, Kamal Mostafa, Kathleen Nichols, Ken Landau, Kenada Nitzu, Kenyon Ralph, Ketan Kulkarni, Kim Hawtin, Koen Holtman, Kyriakos Zarifis, Leo Bicknell, Leon Koh, Luca Dionisi, Luis Rodriguez, Luke H, Maciej Soltysiak, Marc Franco, Marc Manthey, Marcos Antonio Rosa, Mark Constable, Marlon Dutra, Marshini Chetty, Mathieu Rene, Matt Taggart, Matt Urbanski, Matthew Goldstein, Michael Graff, Michael Richardson, Michael Van Milligan, Naeem Khademi, Nazanin Magharei, Nick Feamster, Noel Grandin, Ondra Salaba, Otto Solares Cabrera, Petri Rosenström, Pádraig Brady, rajendar chintala, Renata Teixeira, Rene Hollan, Rich Brown, Rich Simons, Richard Scheffenegger, Richard Smith, Rick Graham, Robert Bradley, Robert Hannaman, Rod Nayfield, Sam Burnett, scott berman, Scott Kamp, Sebastian Moeller, Sedat Dilek, Shane Turner, Simon Barber, Srikanth Sundaresan, Stephen Hemminger, Stephen Walker, Stephen Woodrow, Steve Lord, Steven Bauer, Ted Percival, Teddy Hogeborn, Tianji Li, Tim Anderson, Tim Upthegrove, Toke Høiland-Jørgensen, Tony Heredia, Travis Kemen, Tres Seaver, Virgil Champlin, Vivien Didelot, Walter de Donato, William Allen Simpson, Wolfgang B Beck, Xuzi Zhou, Yiannis Yiakoumis, Yuri Bene
Contributor: Irving Reid, Matt Taggart, Vivien Didelot, William Allen Simpson
Reporter: Vivien Didelot
Robot: mail bot
Artist: Matt Taggart
CeroWrt 3.10.50-1 Triumphs!
CeroWrt 3.10.50-1 has been delightfully stable - uptimes of >80 days are common.
CeroWrt 3.10.50-1 Released
This version is working GREAT!
CeroWrt latest beta's
CeroWrt beta versions are getting really good
Heartbleed and CeroWrt - upgrade please!
Heartbleed was bad, and CeroWrt was somewhat vulnerable - fixes are now available.
Insecurity in Home embedded devices 3/19/14 4PM
Jim Gettys will be giving a talk at MIT about insecurity in home devices and what can be done about it.